Jan 14, 2011

First Project

I had this idea to create a piece from Letterpress Blocks.


I've seen people spell out different Words like "Home Sweet Home" and "Love" and I wanted to use the Letters to spell out my Sons Name and Birth Date but buying all the necessary letters Online was proving difficult and expensive.

So, I decided to make my own.

Image: Patent Pending Projects


Here's some close up shots of the detail

Image: Patent Pending Projects

Image: Patent Pending Projects

Each Block is individually hand stained, painted and varnished.

I have to say I'm quite pleased with how it's turned out.

The keen-eyed will notice that they are not traditional Letterpress replica's as they're the right way (or positive way) round.
Letterpress Blocks are basically negative blocks which give a positive print when put to paper but because I was making them myself I felt I could take certain liberties and have them the right way around.

The Materials I used were a fret saw to cut out the Letters from plywood, some coloured charcoals to stain and age the mounting blocks which was part of an old wardrobe I had taken apart and some Modge Podge (or a satin varnish) to finish the look. I think it works well.

Image: Patent Pending Projects


I really enjoyed the process and there's lots of ideas for future projects.

Weddings, Birthdays, Anniversaries. The plan is to come up with a few different designs and build a collection of Letters so that I can pick and choose quite easily when I need to create a new piece.

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...